(180 WORDS OR LESS)
Deborah Willis has pursued a dual professional career. First an art photographer, she later became a historian of African American photography and a curator of exhibits relating to African American culture. She is the 1996 recipient of the Anonymous Was A Woman Foundation Prize, and in 2000 was named a John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Fellow.
Willis is the author of numerous books, including Reflections in Black: A History of Black Photographers, 1840 to the Present, published in 2000. With Carla Williams, she co-authored The Black Female Body: A Photographic History in 2001. Her latest publication is titled Family History Memory: Recording African American Life. Over the course of her career, she has been involved in various exhibits, including Tied to Memory at the Kemper Museum of Art in Kansas City; The Comforts of Home at the Hand Workshop Art Center in Richmond, VA; Re/Righting History: Counter-narratives by Contemporary African-American Artists at the Katonah, NY.
Deborah Willis is currently Professor of Photography & Imaging and Africana Studies at New York University.
- Pictures and biographical entries must be submitted to our offices no later than the designated date.
- Biographical entries and pictures may be sent in hard copy format to the address below or in electronic format to email@example.com. No multi-page documents or resumes, will be accepted.
- A Professional headshot is strongly recommended. Poor quality photos will NOT be accepted. Please do not submit half-tones, faxes, Polaroid pictures, or pictures printed from your computer.
- Return photograph requests must be accompanied by a self addressed stamped envelope (SASE) with sufficient postage. We take great care in handling all photo submissions, however, we are not responsible for any damage to your photograph as a result of shipping, or handling.
TIPS ON CREATING A BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH (LIMIT 180 WORDS OR LESS):
- Every biographical entry must include name, title, and company or organization.
- Include work related responsibilities in the first paragraph.
- List any honors and special achievements.
- List organization memberships/affiliations (i.e., arts organizations, volunteer endeavors, church, etc.)
- Include educational background if applicable (i.e., school and degree(s) earned).
- Include personal data (hobbies, children/ spouse information, favorite quote, etc.)
(Photo MUST be scanned at 300 dpi or higher)
750 Cross Pointe Rd., Q
Columbus, Ohio 43230
*All mail submissions must include your current contact information, including:
- Complete Mailing Address